All you need to know to enjoy thermal waters during pregnancy
Pregnancy and thermal water
Are you pregnant? We would like to inform you about everything that is necessary to make your stay in our spas a complete and satisfactory experience.
In Castilla Termal Hoteles we want to look after you so we offer you this guide with a series of recommendations to make the most of your stay and that of your baby.
- Reduces stress thanks to its relaxing effect.
- Less stretch marks are produced due to its moisturising effect.
- Prevents contractures and muscular pain, especially in the spine and abdominal and pelvic myalgias.
- Improves joint mobility.
- Relieves fatigue and oedema in the lower limbs, stimulating venous return.
- Improves the sphincter function of the pelvic floor.
- Stimulates endorphin production
- Increases respiratory capacity, which allows to better oxygenate the baby and mother.
- It helps regulate blood pressure.
Remember to consult your doctor, in case you consider that, for you, this may be contraindicated.
Pregnancy and massages
Pregnant women can receive different types of massages depending on their therapeutic or relaxation needs. The most common treatments you can choose to have if you are pregnant are:
- Therapeutic massage in pregnancy: this type of treatment is aimed at relieving some of the most frequent pains, such as those caused by muscular contractions or sciatica. This condition is very common in pregnancy, as a result of inflammation of the sciatic nerve; it causes severe pain in the lower back, which can spread to the rest of the leg. Massaging the affected areas relieves pain and helps reduce muscle tension. This massage can be performed after 4th month of pregnancy and always with a professional specialized in massage techniques for pregnant women.
- Circulatory massage: can be performed as early as the fourth month of pregnancy to activate the circulation of pregnant women and thus prevent problems related to fluid retention. The masseur will especially focus on the extremities, especially the lower extremities (legs), where there is a greater risk of swelling and heaviness due to the circulatory disorders that occur during pregnancy.
- Relaxing Massage: the stress or anxiety that affects many women during pregnancy can be eliminated or at least diminished with a well-aimed massage that helps to relax the body and mind of the mother-to-be, especially when enjoyed in a calm and welcoming environment.
- Lymphatic drainage in pregnant women: this physiotherapeutic massage technique is indicated for pregnant women who suffer from excess fluid retention during pregnancy. Experts recommend it in the late stages of pregnancy, when the symptoms of swelling - especially in the feet and ankles - are very uncomfortable for pregnant women and even prevent them from maintaining their daily routine. The drainage consists of massaging the affected areas to channel the retained fluid into the bloodstream and thus facilitate its elimination by natural means. This technique is recommended from the fourth month of pregnancy.
During pregnancy, regular massage relaxes, soothes and stimulates the blood supply and immune system.
In addition, these are some of the benefits of massage:
- Received regularly, it regulates the energy channels with stimulation and relaxation.
- It regulates the intestinal transit by fighting constipation, which is very common in pregnancy.
- Reduce stress
- Help to sleep and rest better.
- Reduce oedema and fluid retention which is so frequent during these months.
- Relieves leg cramps, also very common.
- It provides oxygen to the bloodstream, which benefits the baby's development.
- It stimulates the immune system and prepares the body to cope with possible illnesses.
- It relaxes the muscles of the neck, nape, shoulders, lumbar area, buttocks, legs and feet, relieving pain in these areas.
- Improves posture and body perception, resulting in less discomfort.
- Reduces joint pain, especially in the knees and ankles.
- Improves skin elasticity and prevents stretch marks.
- When you wake up with discomfort, nausea or vomiting.
- If you have vaginal bleeding.
- If the foetal movement disappears for more than 24 hours.
- If you have diarrhoea.
- If there is strong abdominal pain.
- With undiagnosed swelling of the arms or legs.
- In case of hypertension.
- When suffering from autoimmune diseases.
- If the mother or child is underweight.
- In multiple pregnancies.
- In case of placenta previa.
- Avoid massages on a wound or irritation.
- In case of a skin allergy.
- On varicose veins
Experiences for mothers-to-be in Castilla Termal
Our special treatments for pregnant women are beneﬁcial for the discomforts that happen at this stage. Suitable so that they can be undertaken between the 13th and the 37th week:
- Mothers-to-be programme: 2h €99 (4* spas).
Gentle body exfoliation: removes dead skin cells allowing the skin to breathe, providing radiance and hydration.
Cervical-lumbar paraffin-mud: application of hot plates composed of mud and paraffin to a specific area of the body to relieve joint and muscle pain.
Special massage for pregnant women: relaxing full body massage, helps to combat stress, the feeling of tired legs and helps you sleep and rest better.
- Clarins Mothers-to-be massage: (60 minutes €100)
Prepares the body and skin for the changes caused by pregnancy Relaxes, relieves back pain, muscle fatigue and lightens the legs. It helps prevent the formation of stretch marks.
- Clarins Tonic Oil: tones and improves the elasticity of the skin to attenuate the appearance of stretch marks, moisturises and firms.
- Clarins special anti-stretch mark treatment: Made from vegetable extracts of Crowberry and Centella, this treatment responds to all the skin's needs during pregnancy, but also during puberty or when weight changes occur.
- Castilla Termal product line: almond oil to moisturise and prevent stretch marks, thermal water and body scrub.
- How long can I be in the water?
The recommended time would be about 30 minutes, taking breaks to go out and replenish liquids.
- What distance should I stand from the pool pressure jets and which can I use?
The jets in the lower back and abdomen are totally contraindicated, the most recommended are the jacuzzi and bubble seats. In the leg area they should be a distance of about 40 cm so that the pressure is not too strong.
- Can I have a treatment in the first trimester of pregnancy?
It is contraindicated to perform any type of treatment because the foetus is in full development and it is a critical period where the risk of miscarriage is highest. The pool would also be contraindicated, the water temperature and the pressure of all the jets is not beneficial in this period of gestation.
- How long should I wait after giving birth?
The recommended time is 6 months, the pregnant person's body is back to normal and it is advisable to carry out an osteopathy session to restore the body's natural balance.
Do you need more information?
You can check the available offers of Castilla Termal Hotels here.
If you need more personalized information you can call us at +34 983 600 816