The Monastery of the Vine, is a clear example of the history and ecclesiastical journey in the community of Castilla y León, this majestic building is part of the historical and cultural evolution of the Douro River.
Where it is?
The Monasterio de la Vid, located in the town of La Vid in the province of Burgos, is only 30 minutes away from Castilla Termal Burgo de Osma. Discover the arrival route here.
Why is the Vine Monastery interesting?
The Monastery of the Vine, is a piece of the monastic and ecclesiastical history of Castile and Leon, corresponds to one of the oldest foundations of the Premonstraten Order that is known in Spain. It is located in a privileged place on the banks of the Douro River, it has an impressive library, a museum of sacred art and another numismatic museum of coins and ancient medals.
It was in the year 1156 when the Monastery of the Vine hosts the Premonstratensian Order, the place was chosen after the miraculous discovery of Alfonso VII of an image of Our Lady of the Vineyards.
The characteristics of the original building are unknown, only the access to the chapter room is conserved. In the year 1288 the first reform and extension began under the order of Sancho IV, which concluded in 1318.
The 16th century was decisive for the Monastery, in 1516 D. Iñigo López de Mendoza was named commander abbot of the monastery, and together with his brothers, the Counts of Miranda, he favored the aggrandizement of the Monastery with the realization of important works. Among them is the main chapel of the church. During the seventeenth century an ambitious architectural program was undertaken due to the prosperity achieved by the demographic and economic development of La Ribera, which will be completed in the eighteenth century, at which time the monastery received the title of "Imperial". The last company of interest dates from the late eighteenth century, when a new library of neoclassical characteristics was built. In 1835, Mendizábal's disentailment law forced the community to leave the Monastery. The monastic group was deteriorating until in 1865 the Order of San Agustín acquired the property. Since then, they undertook important reforms until recovering the lost splendor of the Monastery, as well as enlarging it with new artistic and bibliographic collections.
Do you want to visit it?
Guided tours every day except Mondays:
10: 30h, 11: 30h and 12: 30h - from January to December
11: 30h and 12: 30h - Sundays
17: 00h, 18: 00h and 19: 00h - from June to September
4:30 p.m. and 5:30 p.m. - November to March
16: 30h, 17: 30h and 18: 30h - April, May and October
For more information about schedules and visits, please contact: 947 530 510
More information in: