The Fuentona natural monument
It is one of the most beautiful and idyllic places in the Soria province.
The Fuentona natural monument is one of the six natural monuments existing in the Castile and León community. It is located in the vicinity of the village of Muriel de la Fuente, Soria.
It has a surface area of 232m and is located in the municipal area of Cabrejas del Pinar.
- It is a valuable example of aquifer and upwelling, accompanied by small sources within a hydrological system.
- It conserves a unique rarity of fauna communities, which constitute invaluable samples of genetic material at extreme risk of disappearance.
- It is representative of one of the communities own geological and geomorphology formations, such as the karst complex systems, forming part of the most extensive current territorial scopes.
It consists of a set of ravines and gorges flanked by impressive limestone rock formations in the surroundings of the River Abión. The source of the river is in a place of extraordinarily beautiful known as "La Fuentona de Muriel". It is an upwelling of subterranean water, which after crossing the multitude of rocky cavities, leaves the exterior to form in its multiple paths and corners, where nature can be appreciated in all its splendour.
The journey is ideally started at the Muriel de la Fuente Bridge, and continues upriver along the path flanking the banks of the River Abión, until it arrives at the Fuentona. As it is completely flat it fortunately offers no walking difficulties.
The following aspects stand out on the path:
- Water clarity enables a clear view of the underwater flora and fauna.
- Rocky formations in capricious forms.
- Birds of prey flying high in the sky; pairs of Griffon Vultures make their nests in the highest cavities in the rocks. Their behaviour, nests and cries can be observed from a distance by telescope provided by the Conservation Service of the park available to the visitors.
- Landscapes of multiple contrasts, a mix of the luxuriance riverbanks with the aridity of the slopes surrounding the mountains.
- Suggestive landscapes with unique corners, which can only be seen in places where nature remains unchanged.